Search Engine Toolkit

Not sure how many of you have bothered with BING, but we all have tied ourselves to Google, and many here use their various tools, to sort of help us, better design, better optimize our stuff.

On another board, I came across this toolkit from Microsoft. I know, many HATE them, but this is a rather interesting tool.

Basically it is a spider, crawls a site you designate, and then gives you the se poop on it. And it does give quite a lot of information, that can be very useful.

Deals with sitemaps, robots text, etc. Very comprehensive from my prelimenary use of it. Bit of a pain to install, and use, time wise, but from I’ve seen, it is helpful.

So for those who are SE fanatics, you might find this a handy little tool to use. I know I am going to be playing with it a lot.

There is a video that explains it, and worth watching.

Re: Search Engine Toolkit

Good find. It’s too bad they aggressively require you to install the Toolkit before they show the video how to use it or what it does.

Actually the video is on the far right side, without needing to install the program.

Well, maybe the video is just for PC? On my Mac, there is a small video screen to the right that says, “Take a few minutes to see how the SEO Toolkit can bring more traffic to your website.” Clicking on the start arrow in the middle of that screen opens up a larger pop-up window that covers the screen and only says “install Microsoft Silverlight” with an arrrow to click to do that. There is an “X” at the top right to close the window. But closing the window just returns to the original screen, which does the same thing and brings back the larger pop-up window saying to install. Under that video window are tutorial links that are text, but no videos in the tutorials. I wonder more and more if a Mac is worth it.

Aah, right you are on a Mac. Silverlight is their whatever, guess not compatible with Macs. What you need is one of those cheap PC’s for this kind of stuff, the discounted refurbished crap, that you don’t do work on, but maybe surf, or watch video’s like this.

I also hear it doesn’t work on XP with SP3, but does on XP with SP1 and SP2. Go figure.

Still it is a good tool, the reports are quite extensive, and interesting.

Don’t mean to change the subject in the thread, but it really is a big issue. Maybe a better Mac would solve some of it. But I’ve had lots of stupid hassles just trying to see what everyone else does easily on a PC. The things I need to download just for a Mac to view things don’t always work. I think Mac is so much better in most things and visually for sure, but when it comes to the fact that because of my computer make, I can’t even preview content on a site that I likely want to promote, like Blue Blake, that’s not right. (Downloaded the recent Flash Player for this and it isn’t showing.)