Can Sub-Domain affect ranking for Main Domain?

If I host someone else’s Word Press blog at myownsite.gaydemon.com, and their install of Word Press gets infected with some virus or they have links to bad sites etc… could that effect my own www.gaydemon.com negatively?

Re: Can Sub-Domain affect ranking for Main Domain?

Generally speaking no. However, I’ve noticed that Google in particular will activate the dreaded red warning screen on a site that contains links to an infected site. Warning the surfer that the site they just visited has links and lists those links to a site that is infected.

Nobody really knows how google works. But it seems is not affecting.

Well that’s the type of warnings I mean, if that affects the entire domain or only the infected sub-domain.

In chrome it will block whole domain with the warning screen. I had my domains block by a domain I don’t even own I use hardsextube embeds of my creampie stuff on some blogs since their embeds are best and dont have nasty pops or other crap, but one of their ads had malware (really it didn’t was a false positive) and google blocked my whole site because of it until that was fixed.

I think this is a yes and no answer.

Google has said before that it views all sub-domains as independent of the main site. So adverse linking and so on for a sub should not affect the primary domain. I’ve had hacks on sub-domains that have resulted in warnings, but that hasn’t affected the main domain at the same time.

However, the risk to the main domain is increased the more sub-domains you have, just because of the nature of some of the hacks. While one might just add something malicious to one blog on a sub, others might infect the network instead and spread throughout all files on that domain and all the other domains too.

I guess it depends how you have it all set up, but I would say the primary domain should be safe from a sub up to the point of a major hack of the server.

google says a penalty cannot go upstream from the sub to the main domain, although who knows.

[QUOTE=conran;130318]I think this is a yes and no answer.

Google has said before that it views all sub-domains as independent of the main site. So adverse linking and so on for a sub should not affect the primary domain. I’ve had hacks on sub-domains that have resulted in warnings, but that hasn’t affected the main domain at the same time.

However, the risk to the main domain is increased the more sub-domains you have, just because of the nature of some of the hacks. While one might just add something malicious to one blog on a sub, others might infect the network instead and spread throughout all files on that domain and all the other domains too.

I guess it depends how you have it all set up, but I would say the primary domain should be safe from a sub up to the point of a major hack of the server.[/QUOTE]

It would be hosted on it’s own independent server with a different IP. But yes, who knows…

In that case, I don’t think you would have a problem when it comes to security, unless you’re feeding something from the subs to the primary domain, which I can’t imagine you would be doing.

I think it’s a risky move if you think the sub-domains could be seen as spammy or something. I know Matt Cutts has raised the issue of sub-domains being independent before, but with Google you never can tell. They could have decided last week that they wanted to change the rules and just didn’t bother to tell anyone.

I think there would be a high threshold if there are any issues with it, in which case you could deal with it manually and just monitor the sub-domains for anything that might worry you. But depending on what your plan is and who has control of those sub-domains, it could be a lot of work.